Author Topic: Pushing the Tampa Bay Rays  (Read 116 times)

zxlbxj1

• View Profile
Pushing the Tampa Bay Rays
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:55:10 PM »
Advertisement
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Down to 10 men and behind on the scoreboard, Toronto FC displayed its perseverance. Striker Luke Moores 67th-minute goal erased a 1-0 deficit and defender Bradley Orrs 91st-minute header provided the final equalizer as Toronto salvaged a 2-2 draw on the road against Sporting Kansas City, the reigning Major League Soccer champions. "Youve got to show character in games like this," said striker Jermain Defoe, who transferred to Toronto FC from Tottenham Hotspur during the off-season. "Away from home, its always going to be difficult. But to go down to 10 men a its a show of character to come back on the road and get a point." Already trailing by a goal, Toronto FCs comeback hopes appeared to suffer a severe blow in the 63rd minute when defender Steven Caldwell was sent off for a serious foul after cleating Sporting KC midfielder Toni Dovale in the right groin with a flying challenge. Instead, less than five minutes after the serious foul sent Caldwell to the showers early, Toronto FC (4-4-1) rallied and then did so again after falling behind on Dom Dwyers 84th-minute penalty kick. "The guys had to climb a bit of a mountain, and they did that," said Toronto FC manager Ryan Nelsen. "What I loved about this, I sat here about a year ago in this same situation when we went down to 10 men and folded like a wet paper bag, to tell you the truth. It was three (goals) going on eight, but we looked very solid today and we got -- through character and determination and battling through all the variables that were thrown against the guys -- what I think was a well-deserved draw." Sporting KC (5-4-3) controlled nearly 68 per cent of the possession and outshot TFC 17-7, but both teams settled for a single point after Orr headed home a chipped volley by fellow defender Nick Hagglund in the dying minutes. "We didnt play very well, but we were solid," Nelsen said. He did take exception to referee Baldomero Toledo sending off Caldwell for spiking midfielder Toni Dovale in the right groin on a flying challenge. "I didnt think I went in with any malicious attempt or excessive force," Caldwell said. "I won the ball clearly and felt he came into me. It always looks worse than what it was. I go, I see the ball and try and win it. I did win it and I felt it was very unfortunate and extremely disappointed to have let the team down and be sent off." Still, Toronto FC persevered. Defoe set the game-tying goal in motion by charging directly down the guts of the field after a midfield turnover by Sporting KC. Splitting three defenders, Defoe slipped a ball forward into the box for Moore, who wheeled around for a one-time left-footed drive that beat Sporting KC goalkeeper Eric Kronberg. Toronto FC went down a goal again in the 84th minute when Dwyer scored his MLS-leading 10th goal on a penalty kick. Toronto FC defender Doneil Henry knocked Sporting KC right back Igor Juliao to the ground in the box, conceding his fourth penalty kick of the season. Goalkeeper Joe Bendik -- who finished with three saves, including a critical pair on second-half rockets by Sporting KC midfielder Paulo Nagamura -- guessed correctly and dove right, but Dwyers drive was too strong. Toronto FC wasnt finished, however. "We never gave up, even when we got the penalty," said Defoe, who notched his first MLS assist on Moores goal. "We kept our heads. Its a difficult place to come. They are a good team. They pass the ball, they keep the ball, have good movement and are really athletic. I think tonight was all about character. "On a different day, maybe we would have gotten a little luck and won it at the end. But I think to show character and to come back was special. There are a lot of positives we can take out of the game tonight." Samuel Umtiti Jersey . To be fair, the celebrations are already anything but tame. Nerf ball tricks shots are just the tip of the iceberg for a group that has performed in zero gravity, faced pro-skateboarder Rob Dyrdek and an assembled team on the MTV series "Fantasy Factory", and even hit a basketball trick shot from a passing blimp. Denis Suarez Jersey . The Extreme Heat Policy was enacted at Melbourne Park just before 2 p.m. Thursday, suspending all matches on outer courts until the early evening and requiring the closure of the retractable roofs at Rod Laver and Hisense arenas before play could continue on the show courts. http://www.fcbarcelonapro.com/Kids-Xavi-Hernandez-Jersey/. Siddikur, who led on all four days and took a four-stroke lead going into the final day, bogeyed four out of six holes starting at the sixth and continued a forgettable last round in which he returned a three-over 75 to finish with a 14-under 274. Jasper Cillessen Jersey . Huntington doesnt want to help run the club unless Hurdle is in the dugout. The combination thats returned the franchise to respectability will remain intact for years to come. Gerard Pique Jersey . A groundswell for raising the number of playoff qualifiers to seven in each conference figures to get plenty of support from the 32 owners. Most notably, Arizonas Bill Bidwill, who saw his Cardinals go 10-6 and not get in, while Green Bay (8-7-1) qualified by winning the NFC North.MINNEAPOLIS -- Pushing the Tampa Bay Rays back toward .500 might be David Prices way of dampening trade rumours. The All-Star left-hander pitched eight scoreless innings to win five straight starts for the first time in his major league career, and the Rays beat the Minnesota Twins 5-1 Saturday night for their fourth consecutive victory. "We were talking about it before the game, regarding how well hes been pitching this year and trying to compare it to his Cy Young Award-winning year," Rays manager Joe Maddon said, referring to 2012. "Im telling you, hes right there right now." Price disagrees. He thinks hes even better. "Ive said that a month-and-a-half ago, six, seven starts ago," Price said. "Ive never been the pitcher that I am right now. Its awesome, its cool." Price (10-7) gave up four hits, matching his season low, walked none and struck out nine to increase his major league-leading total to 173. He got in trouble only once, giving up consecutive singles to Chris Parmelee and Eduardo Escobar in the fifth before Eduardo Nunez grounded into an inning-ending double play. Jake McGee got two outs for his eighth save in nine chances, completing a five-hitter. Price didnt pitch during the All-Star game but answered questions about potential trade scenarios should the Rays fail to climb back into contention. If Tampa Bay keeps winning, those questions will might disappear. "Just didnt want the All-Star break to put us into a lull, and it didnt do it, or it hasnt yet at least," he said. "To come out and play the ball that we have over the past two days after the All-Star break is huge." Twins starter Phil Hughes (10-6) allowed five runs and 11 hits in seven innings, matching the most hits against him this season. He is 3-4 with a 5.63 ERA in his last seven starts. "Hughes gave us an opportunity to get back in the game, but we werent able to do it," Twins manager Ron GGardenhire said.dddddddddddd "Price didnt give us much of a chance." Tampa Bay took a 3-0 lead in the second on Jose Molinas RBI single and Sean Rodriguezs 10th home run of the season, a two-drive into the second deck in left. It was the 10th home this season off Hughes, who allowed 35 in 2012 and 24 last year. "I felt like I could have gotten Molina out to get out of that inning," Hughes said. "You look up and its 3-0 and your heart sinks a little bit because you know youre one pitch away from getting out of that inning." The Rays made it 5-0 in the seventh on Molinas RBI groundout and Rodriguezs run-scoring single. Minnesota scored in the ninth against Juan Carlos Oviedo on Kurt Suzukis one-out, RBI single. NOTES: Twins 1B Joe Mauer took grounders before the game with coaches Joe Vavra and Paul Molitor. It was Mauers first baseball activity since he went on the 15-day DL on July 2 because of a strained right oblique. "He said theres certain things he does right now that he still feels it, coughing and sneezing and things like that, definitely feels it, so hes obviously not ready to take swings or any of that stuff," manager Ron Gardenhire said. ... Minnesota turned five groundball double plays for the seventh time in Twins history, the first since Sept. 17, 2006, at Cleveland. ... Gardenhire gave a day off to OF Josh Willingham, who is 2 for 10 in his career against Price and batting .208 this season. "Willys fine, hes healthy. Hes just missing his pitch right now." ... Ben Zobrists first-inning single off Hughes was his first hit against the former Yankees pitcher in 17 career at-bats. ... Tampa Bay will try for the sweep on Sunday when it starts RHP Chris Archer (5-5), who is 2-0 and hasnt allowed an earned run in two career starts against the Twins. Minnesota RHP Kevin Correia (5-11) is 1-2 over his last three starts despite opponents hitting .242 against him. Cheap Red Sox Jerseys Cheap Marlins Jerseys Cheap Mets Jerseys Cheap Phillies Jerseys Cheap Nationals Jerseys Cheap Cubs Jerseys Cheap Reds Jerseys Cheap Brewers Jerseys Cheap Pirates Jerseys Cheap Cardinals Jerseys Cheap Diamondbacks Jerseys Cheap Rockies Jerseys Cheap Dodgers Jerseys Cheap Padres Jerseys Cheap Giants Jerseys ' ' '